We don't like added extras, so we include the permits for gorilla and golden monkey tracking on this tour. To give you an idea, a gorilla tracking permits costs approximately $1,500pp US and a golden monkey permit around $100pp US. Learn more
On this amazing tour extension, you’ll come face to face with the gorillas of Rwanda! Prepare yourself for one of the world’s most incredible wildlife experiences.
Day 1. Arrive Kigali
Welcome to Rwanda! On arrival you will be met and transferred to Kigali, the country’s capital.
Day 2. Kigali - Musanze
This city has a turbulent history and this morning you will take a tour, visiting the Memorial and raft centres, the Kandt Museum, Old Kigali and the Genocide Memorial site. After a short safari briefing, you’ll travel north through the countryside to Musanze, located at the foot of the Virungas, a scenic chain of mostly dormant volcanoes. This area is home to many rare and endangered species, including mountain gorillas, golden monkeys and black-fronted duiker. [B,L,D]
Day 3. Volcanoes National Park Excursion
A magical day starts with an early breakfast before you travel into the Volcanoes National Park to be assigned to a gorilla tracking group. After a briefing by the trackers, you will begin the exhilarating trek in the footsteps of these rare creatures. Spend an hour watching them as they go about their daily lives. Then visit an ex-poachers’ village that is now an award-winning conservation initiative. [B,L,D]
Day 4. Musanze - Kigali
Begin the day with a trek through the Volcanoes National Park, tracking beautiful golden monkeys. This afternoon you will be transferred to Kigali in time for dinner. [B,L,D]
Day 5. Depart Kigali
Transfer to the airport for your onward journey. [B]
- Meet & greet on arrival and private airport transfers
- Exclusive use of 4WD vehicle
Accommodation & Meals
- 2 nights at Onomo Hotel, Kigali (3½ star)
- 2 nights at Five Volcanoes Boutique Hotel, Musanze (4 star)
- 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners
- English-speaking locally based driver/guide
- Professional trackers while trekking
Entrance Fees & Permits
- Park entrance fees included
- Gorilla and golden monkey tracking permits (approx US$1,600)
- City tour of Kigali.
- Mountain Gorilla Trekking.
- Visit an ex-poacher’s village.
- Golden Monkey Trekking.
NOTE: This particular tour requires a moderate level of fitness as the forest trek to visit the mountain gorillas can be around 2 hours.
The Small Print: Prices are per person based on twin share. Single supplement on request. Seasonal surcharges apply. Please contact our office for details.
Visa Requirements: For Australian passport holders, a visa for Rwanda needs to be purchased upon arrival for $30pp US. (If Rwanda is NOT your first country of arrival and you are travelling to either Kenya or Uganda before, an East Africa Tourist Visa (EATV) may be obtained instead of the above.) For non-Australian passport holders, please check with your travel agent.
Available with these tours:
- Highlights of Ethiopia17 Days
- Morocco & Kenya21 Days
- Namibia, Botswana & Victoria Falls 2018/1924 Days
- Kenya & Tanzania 2018/1917 Days
- Cairo to Zanzibar 2018/1925 Days
- Cape Winelands, Victoria Falls & Zambia16 Days
- South Africa, Botswana & Kenya 2019/2023 Days
- Kruger & the Panorama Route14 Days
- Kruger to Cape Town25 Days
- Kenya & Tanzania 2019/2017 Days
- Ethiopia in Depth20 Days
- Cairo to Zanzibar 2019/2025 Days