On this amazing tour extension, recapture the romance of a bygone era as you step aboard the wood-panelled coaches of Rovos Rail and enjoy the fine cuisine in five-star luxury. This 1600-kilometre meander gives the perfect illustration of South Africa as a world in one country. Travel the grasslands of the gold-rich Highveld, the haunting barrenness of the Great Karoo Desert and trundle through the spectacular mountain ranges and scenic vineyards of the Western Cape.
Package begins on selected Mondays, Wednesdays & Saturdays. For departure dates and availability, please contact Bunnik Tours.
Itinerary also operates in the reverse direction from Pretoria to Cape Town on selected Wednesdays & Fridays.
Day 1 Arrive Cape Town
Welcome to Cape Town! This morning, you will be met and transferred to the Rovos Rail departure point. Your journey begins as you gaze at the magnificent views of the Cape Winelands from your carriage. After a delicious lunch you visit the historical village of Matjiesfontein, a perfectly preserved Victorian village. Return to the train in time for a formal dinner, then retire to the wood-panelled lounge car for after-dinner drinks. [L,D]
Day 2 Rovos Rail
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast this morning, as the train makes its way towards the diamond town of Kimberley. Arriving after lunch, you will have the opportunity to explore Kimberley including the Diamond Mine Museum and Big Hole. Here you will be able to see authentically restored houses and shops from the 1860s/70s 'New Rush'. On returning to the train, the rest of the afternoon is at leisure. [B,L,D]
Day 3 Depart Johannesburg
After another amazing night on board the Rovos Rail, your journey continues to Pretoria through the towns of Krugersdorp and Johannesburg. On arrival in Pretoria, you will be met and transferred to Johannesburg in time for your onward arrangements. This marks the end of your incredible rail journey across South Africa. [B]
- Meet & greet on arrival and private airport transfers
- 3 days travelling on board the Rovos Rail luxury train
Accommodation & Meals
- 2 nights in a Pullman Suite on the Rovos Rail
- 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners
- Visit the historical village of Matjiesfontein.
- Tour the Kimberly Diamond Mine Museum and The Big Hole.
Please Note: The dress code on board the train is smart casual. For dinner gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and ladies should wear elegant cocktail/evening dresses.
The Small Print: Prices are per person based on twin share with a minimum of 2 people. Seasonal surcharges apply. Alternative itineraries are also available. Please contact our office for details.
Available with these tours:
- Namibia, Botswana & Victoria Falls 2018/1924 Days
- Cairo to Zanzibar 2018/1925 Days
- Kenya & Tanzania 2018/1917 Days
- Cape Winelands, Victoria Falls & Zambia16 Days
- Morocco & Kenya21 Days
- South Africa, Botswana & Kenya 2019/2023 Days
- Namibia, Botswana & Victoria Falls 2019/2024 Days
- Kruger to Cape Town25 Days
- Rwanda, Tanzania & Zanzibar19 Days
- Kenya & Tanzania 2019/2017 Days
- Cairo to Zanzibar 2019/2025 Days
- Ethiopia in Depth20 Days
- Kenya & Ethiopia22 Days
- Highlights of Ethiopia17 Days
- Kruger & the Panorama Route14 Days