Founded by Alexander the Great in 331 BC, Alexandria thrived as the capital of Greco-Roman Egypt and is now the second-largest city in Egypt. The centre of learning for the ancient world, Alexandria is also famous for being the setting for the stormy relationship between Mark Antony and Cleopatra. Wander through this beautiful Mediterranean city and view its many sites, including Pompey's Pillar, the New Bibliotheca, the National Museum and the Catacombs.
Please Note: Ramadan is observed from 23 April to 23 May 2020, and 12 April to 12 May 2021.
Day 1 Depart Cairo
This morning travel to Alexandria, otherwise known as the "Pearl of the Mediterranean". Located on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, Alexandria is the second-largest city in Egypt. Founded by Alexander the Great in 331BC, Alexandria was where the famous love affair between Cleopatra and Mark Antony took place. Your sightseeing in Alexandria includes the National Museum, Pompey's Pillar, the Catacombs and the New Bibliotheca. The National Museum is a restored Italian-style palace and houses some 1800 pieces from the Pharaonic and Greco-Roman periods as well as many Coptic and Islamic treasures. Pompey's Pillar is a 25-metre-high red granite column which was constructed in the honour of the Emperor Diocletian and is the tallest monument in Alexandria. The Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa date back to the 1st century AD and were first used as a private tomb and later converted to a public cemetery. After lunch we visit the New Bibliotheca also known as the Alexandria Library. The original building which was a centre of learning for over 600 years burnt to the ground in the 3rd century. The New Bibliotheca is now more than just a library that holds millions of books, it is also a museum, a planetarium and much more. [L]
Day 2 Alexandria - Cairo
Enjoy a morning at leisure in Alexandria after breakfast. This afternoon return to Cairo. [B]
- All touring in private air-conditioned vehicles
Accommodation & Meals
- 1 night at the 4 star Le Metropole Paradise Inn or similar
- 1 breakfast and 1 lunch
- English-speaking locally based driver and guide
- Full day tour of Alexandria and Egypt's Mediterranean Coast
The Small Print: Prices are per person based on twin share. Single Supplement on request. Seasonal surcharges apply. Superior hotel package shown. Deluxe hotel option is also available. Please contact our office for details.
Visa Requirements: For Australian passport holders, a visa for Egypt needs to be purchased upon arrival for $25pp US. For non-Australian passport holders, please check with your travel agent.
Available with these tours:
- Highlights of Egypt 12 Days
- Egypt In-Style 2019/2017 Days
- Discover the Pharaohs14 Days
- Egypt & Cyprus21 Days
- Best of Egypt & Turkey 2019/2023 Days
- Cairo to Zanzibar25 Days
- Jordan & Oman19 Days
- Jordan & Cyprus17 Days
- Egypt, Israel & Jordan 2019/2024 Days
- Highlights of Egypt & Jordan 2019/2019 Days
- Egypt & Jordan In-Style 2019/2025 Days
- Classic Israel10 Days
- Discover Oman7 Days
- Egypt In-Style 2020/2116 Days
- Egypt & Jordan In-Style 2020/2124 Days
- Best of Egypt & Turkey 2020/2121 Days
- Egypt, Israel & Jordan 2020/2125 Days
- Highlights of Egypt & Jordan 2020/2119 Days