Alexandria is the second-largest city in Egypt, otherwise known as the "Pearl of the Mediterranean", and has an atmosphere more Mediterranean than Middle Eastern. Explore this port city and learn about its rich cultural history, including visits to the National Museum, the Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa, Pompey's Pillar and the New Bibliotheca. From Alexandria, follow the route of Field Marshal Montgomery to El Alamein, visit the Commonwealth War Cemetery and see the fields of battle where Rommel's infamous WWII advance on Cairo was halted.
Please Note: Ramadan is observed from 23 April to 23 May 2020, and 12 April to 12 May 2021.
Day 1 Cairo - Alexandria
This morning you depart Cairo for Wadi El Natroun, home to some of the earliest Christian monasteries, dating from the 4th to the 7th century AD. Then continue on to the beautiful city of Alexandria, otherwise known as the 'Pearl of the Mediterranean', founded by Alexander the Great in 331BC.
Day 2 Alexandria
In Alexandria, your tour will include the National Museum, the Catacombs and Pompey’s Pillar, the tallest monument in Alexandria. After lunch you visit the New Bibliotheca; the original building was a centre of learning for more than 600 years, before it burnt to the ground in the 3rd century. Today it’s much more than just a library, it is also a museum and a planetarium. Lastly we make a quick photo stop at the Citadel of Qaitbay. [B,L]
Day 3 Alexandria - El Alamein - Cairo
Your journey today takes you through the dunes along the Mediterranean coast towards El Alamein, well known for its serenity, fascinating scenery and mild climate. El Alamein is historically recognised as the site of one of the most decisive battles of the Second World War. You will visit the Commonwealth War Cemetery where more than 7,000 Allied war victims are buried, and the El Alamein Military Museum with its unique war paintings. You return to Cairo later in the day. [B,L]
- All touring in private air-conditioned vehicles
Accommodation & Meals
- 2 nights at the 4 star Le Metropole Paradise Inn or similar
- 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches
- English-speaking locally based driver and guide
- Visit the Coptic Monastery of St Bishoy.
- Full day tour of Alexandria and Egypt's Mediterranean Coast.
- Explore the battlefields at El Alamein and visit the Commonwealth War Cemetery.
The Small Print: Prices are per person based on twin share. Single Supplement on request. Seasonal surcharges apply. Superior hotel package shown. Deluxe hotel option is also available. Please contact our office for details.
Visa Requirements: For Australian passport holders, a visa for Egypt needs to be purchased upon arrival for $25pp US. For non-Australian passport holders, please check with your travel agent.
Available with these tours:
- Highlights of Egypt 12 Days
- Discover the Pharaohs14 Days
- Egypt & Cyprus21 Days
- Cairo to Zanzibar25 Days
- Jordan & Cyprus17 Days
- Jordan & Oman19 Days
- Highlights of Egypt & Jordan 2020/2119 Days
- Egypt & Jordan In-Style 2020/2124 Days
- Best of Egypt & Turkey 2020/2121 Days
- Egypt In-Style 2020/2116 Days
- Egypt, Israel & Jordan 2020/2125 Days
- Highlights of Egypt & Jordan 2019/2019 Days
- Egypt & Jordan In-Style 2019/2025 Days
- Egypt, Israel & Jordan 2019/2024 Days