This package takes you to the world’s driest desert and explores the salt flats of the Atacama. We visit the giant salt lake of Salar de Atacama and Chaxa Lagoon, before rising early to watch the fumaroles of the Tatio geysers. The most spectacular views are witnessed at dawn!
DAY 1 CALAMA - SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
Welcome to Calama, the gateway to the geological and archaeological wonders of Chile's high central desert. Upon arrival you are met and transferred by vehicle to San Pedro de Atacama, a town and commune located in the El Lao province.
DAY 2 TOCONAO SALT FLAT
Today you tour Tocanao village, most notable for its church which dates from 1750 and its bell tower which is separated from the main church structure. You next visit Salar de Atacama, at 3,000 square kilometres it's the largest salt flat in Chile. It's also the third largest in the world. [B,L]
DAY 3 MOON & DEATH VALLEY
Today you will leave San Pedro and head towards Death Valley, an amazing spectacle of land formation, hills and minerals. Later you continue to the Moon Valley, one of the most spectacular phenomena in the Atacama Desert. Here you explore the silent moonscape and strange figures that nature has formed. [B]
DAY 4 TATIO GEYSERS
An early start today as you travel to the Tatio Geyser field. The best time to visit the field is at sunrise when each geyser is engulfed by a column of steam that condenses in the bitterly cold morning air. After returning to San Pedro de Atacama, you can enjoy the remainder of the day at leisure. [B]
DAY 5 SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA - CALAMA
Today you head back to Calama for your onward flight. [B]
- Return private transfers from Calama to San Pedro de Atacama with English-speaking guides
- Sightseeing on seat-in-coach basis
ACCOMMODATION & MEALS
- 4 nights in good quality hotels (3-4 star)
- 4 breakfasts and 1 lunch
- English-speaking guides
- Seat-in-coach half day excursion to Tocanao village & Salar de Atacama
- Seat-in-coach half day excursion to Moon & Death Valley
- Seat-in-coach full day excursion to Tatio Geysers
The Small Print: Prices are per person based on twin share in the property rating & transportation stated within inclusions. Single traveller prices are available upon request. Seasonal surcharge may apply over peak travel periods, holiday seasons and special events. Itinerary is subject to change without notice.
Visa Requirements: For Australian passport holders, a Chile Reciprocity Fee of $117pp US is payable upon arrival by cash or credit card. For non-Australian passport holders, please check with your travel agent.
Available with these tours:
- South American Discovery 36 Days
- Peru & Ecuador Discovery 28 Days
- South American Explorer 28 Days
- Peru Explorer20 Days
- South American Wonders36 Days
- Best of South America & the Galapagos 2018/1937 Days
- Highlights of South America21 Days
- Highlights of South America & the Galapagos27 Days
- Colombia & Ecuador24 Days