We have some fantastic small group tours that can help you wander away from the typical tourist trails. Check them out below and visit our website for more details.
Labelled as one of the ‘hottest regions to visit in 2020’ the popularity of Central Asia is predicted to spike over the next few years. Nestled between India, Russia and China, the 5-Stans are independent countries with unique identities. With their stunning architecture, breathtaking natural beauty, spectacular cuisines and warm hospitality, the 5-Stans are sure to leave you mesmerised.
From Turkmenistan to Kazakhstan
Starting in Ashgabat, the capital of Turkmenistan, you’ll visit some amazing sites, including; the Parthian Fortress of Nisa; Ertuğrul Gazi Mosque; the Akhal-Teke horses at Arkadash Stud Farm. Then arrive in Bukhara in Uzbekistan, where you’ll see some of the city’s monuments and mosques, including the Lyabi-Khauz ensemble, Khanaga Magoki Attori Mosque and the stunning Madrassah Aziz Khan. Travel to Khujand in Tajikstan, one of the oldest cities in Central Asia. Upon arrival, you’ll stroll through Kamoli Khujandi Square, see Timur Malik Fortress and learn about the history of Khujand at the Historical Sughd Museum. Discover Almaty, Kazakhstan’s largest metropolis. Explore the Park of 28 Panfilov Guardsmen and ride the cable car to the top of Kok-Tobe Hill.
Some incredible experiences for the 5-Stans
- Discover Konigil Village and participate in a hand-made paper workshop in Uzbekistan
- Watch amazing horseman skills while attending the nomadic horse games, a traditional sport in Kyrgyzstan
- Participate in a flatbread making class at a traditional yurt in Kyrgyzstan
- Learn how felt carpets are made and create your own in Kyrgyzstan.
Ethiopia in Depth
As Africa’s oldest independent country, Ethiopia is a remarkable country with a rich and diverse history. Unlike any other place in Africa, Ethiopia offers visitors a unique combination of historic sites, breathtaking mountain ranges and modern cities. There’s so much to explore!
From Addis Ababa to Lalibela
Delve into the history of Ethiopia in the capital of Addis Ababa and indulge in local delicacies on a culinary walking tour through the city neighbourhoods. Fly north to Bahir Dar and admire majestic Blue Nile Falls before cruising Lake Tana and visiting the island churches decorated with colourful frescoes. Travel to Gondar, home to the remains of the Fasilides Empire in the form of palaces, residences and baths. Then discover the stunning Simien Mountains, some of Africa’s most beautiful ranges, searching for the unique endemic wildlife such as the Ethiopian wolf, walia ibex and the famous red-chested gelada baboons. Stand in awe in front of the monolithic rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, one of the ‘wonders of the world’.
Some incredible experiences for Ethiopia in Depth
- Explore Addis Ababa’s best restaurants on a culinary walking tour. Learn the story and traditions behind each dish and get to know more of the local neighbourhoods
- Tour Konso, which includes a visit to the King’s residence. Here you’ll see the traditions and culture that make this place so special
- Discover Jinbar Waterfall, one of Africa’s highest at 500 metres in the Simien Mountains
- Explore one of the ‘wonders of the world’, the first and second group of monolithic rock-hewn churches in Lalibela
Discover the Pharaohs
Bunnik Tours are the Egypt experts, with over 15-years’ experience operating tours to Egypt & the Middle East. We’ll show you the authentic side of this magical country and also uncover the significant and historic sites in Cairo and Giza.
From Cairo to Aswan
Join an expert Egyptologist guide as you stand in awe of the iconic structure of Egypt, including the Great Pyramids and Sphinx of Giza. Head to the energetic beating heart of Cairo to dig deeper into Egypt’s history as you uncover the many priceless treasures and artefacts in the Egyptian Museum. Board an opulent dahabiya in Luxor to spend 7 nights sailing the magnificent Nile. Take in the fascinating life here as you meander along, enjoying highlights along the way such as the Valley of the Kings and the temples of Karnak, Luxor, Horus and Kom Ombo. You’ll conclude with a visit to the spectacular Abu Simbel – a highlight of any trip to Egypt!
Some incredible experiences for Discover the Pharaohs:
- Delve into the magnificent cuisine of Cairo as you take a local cooking class and enjoy the culinary creations for lunch
- Set sail on an opulently appointed dahabiya and spend a week cruising along the Nile
- Visit the incredible twin temples of Abu Simbel
Guatemala & Costa Rica
Get ready for an action packed trip! Delve into the ancient history of the Mayans, explore pristine national parks, stroll along white sand beaches and enjoy incredible wildlife viewing. From archaeological ruins and colonial towns to tropical rainforests, simmering volcanoes and surreal cloud forests, Guatemala and Costa Rica are just waiting to be discovered.
From Guatemala City to San Jose
Arrive into Guatemala and discover the amazing ancient Mayan city of Tikal, famous for its great stone monuments and temples. Enjoy the serenity of scenic Lake Atitlan in Panajachel and discover the lake’s traditional villages and fascinating culture. Visit the largest and most vibrant market in Central America, Chichicastenango, then experience the baroque-influenced architecture of beautiful Antigua. You’ll feel like you’ve arrived in the Caribbean when you step off the boat in Livingston. Home to the Garifuna people, this coastal town has a completely different vibe to the rest of Guatemala. Head into the wilderness of Costa Rica! Cruise through the beautiful rainforest of the Tortuguero National Park, exploring the canals and backwaters and spotting sloths, iguanas, frogs, monkeys and colourful birds.
Some incredible experiences for Guatemala & Costa Rica:
- Visit the incredible Mayan ruins of Tikal, nestled amidst lush rainforest
- Travel by tuk tuk to the home of the Mayan god, Maximón, and witness a traditional ceremony in Panajachel
- Explore the colourful market of Chichicastenango – the biggest and best in Central America
- Learn to make authentic tortillas like a local and enjoy a shared lunch in Arenal Volcano National Park
Laos to Cambodia
Southeast Asia’s ancient ruins, sandy beaches, lush rainforests, delicious culinary charms and long-lasting traditions have made it a favourite destination with Australian travellers for decades. It’s such a captivating and affordable part of the world to explore!
From Luang Prabang to Phnom Penh
Travel to Laos, where you’ll discover beautiful Luang Prabang. Explore the city by tuk tuk and learn about the culture, architecture and temple etiquette of Buddhism during a private guided tour. Learn about rice harvesting, the tools that are used and meet the local farming guide at Living Lands Organic Farm. Cruise along the Mekong River to explore the 4000 Islands, where Laos becomes an archipelago. The view here is picture perfect. Fly to Siem Reap, the gateway to Angkor and its ancient temples. Explore the fortified city of Angkor Thom and of course, incredible UNESCO World Heritage-listed Angkor Wat. Stop at Kampong Chhnang to visit a local pottery and silversmith village and then visit the poignant Killing Fields and the notorious Security Prison 21, Tuol Sleng.
Some incredible experiences for Laos to Cambodia:
- Learn about the culture, architecture and temple etiquette of Buddhism during a private guided tour by a former monk or novice who has left the monastery
- Join the locals in a traditional game of Pétanque in Luang Prabang
- Explore the old colonial town of Kampi and embark on a cruise along the Mekong in search of the rare and endangered river dolphin
- Take the ferry to the Island of Koh Trong and witness traditional village life as you explore the island by horse or ox cart